Family movies are wonderful vehicles for spending time with your children – and there really isn't much that can beat them in the way of creating opportunities to establish relationships between families, build family traditions and make memories.
While no two family movies are the same, the best ones (that is, those that prove to be the most enduring in a family library) seem to have some shared characteristics. So whether you're looking for your family & # 39; s next "ET" or the next "Lego movie", here are some selection tips that can help you choose the best family movie to watch, buy or rent.
One: Younger children can get something out of the movie.
A good family movie is available to all family members, including the youngest. This does not necessarily mean that your five-year-old needs to understand everything about the action, or that your 11-year-old should be able to identify and explain a movie & # 39; s deeper points about the human experience. But they need to enjoy the movie at some level.
For example, think of "The Sound of Music". Young children may not be able to follow much of the action, but they may enjoy watching other children sing and dance. A younger child may not fully appreciate the history and themes of "Polar Express", but does not mean that he will not be captivated by the film's wonderful animation.
Two: It's not so young that mom and dad don't like it on their own.
Conversely, a good family movie should be interesting enough for mom and dad that they enjoy watching it on their own. This may be because the film sprinkled in a liberal amount of smart "wink-wink" moments in the dialogue that only adults can understand (think "Aladdin"), or because the film's subject deals with inspirational themes ("Free Willie" or "Big" ) that the adults enjoy and are worthy of attention.
Three: The movie has a good lesson.
The best classic family movies almost always offer a wonderful lesson or teaching moment – of course, without being overly precarious or heavily traded. Ideally, this is something that the family can discuss before and after the film, thus expanding and enriching their collective enjoyment of the film.
A handful of great family movies with memorable or moving lessons that you may want to check out include "True Grit", "It's A Wonderful Life", "Akeelah and The Bee", "Forrest Gump", "Charlotte & # 39; web, "" up, "and" frozen. "
Four: A compelling plotline.
Let's face it – whether you are eight or 80 years old, it's nothing like watching a great story. Even the most beautiful family member can capture a movie that has an exciting story, and the discussions that can emerge after your family's first viewing of the movie can really contribute to your movie experience.
Examples of family movies with engaging plotlines worth exploring include "Cloak and Dagger", "The Karate Kid", "The Parent Trap", "Homeward Bound", "National Velvet", "Finding Nemo", "Hugo", " Ratatouille "and the Harry Potter franchise, just to name a few.
Five: Memorable moments.
Some of the most beloved memories you have as a family are the spontaneous recitations or recollections of jokes and catchphrases from favorite families – or the family performance of movie-song-and-dance numbers that you & # 39; everyone has seen a dozen times and knows with heart – or those tear-jerks while the whole family cried together before the movie got easier and in the end left everyone laughing, smiling or cheering.
Family films with such moments include "Toy Story", "The Lion King", "Annie", "Happy Feet", "The Wizard of Oz", "Mary Poppins", "Shrek", "Miracle on 34th Street", "Dumbo "and" Old Yeller ".
There have been many fantastic actors from Sweden. Although the country is quite small, some of the brightest stars in Hollywood actually come from Sweden. In our opinion, here are the 5 best Swedish players today.
(1) Kirsten Dunst - While Kirsten was actually born in America, the actress is half-Swedish, thanks to her mother. Like many Swedish ladies, her beautiful blonde hair is a giveaway. This half Swedish actress has starred in many great motion pictures including the Spider Man series, Interview with the Vampire, Little Women, American Beauty and many more.
(2) Ann Margret - Born in Stockholm, the beautiful Swedish actress Ann Margret is a true legend. Her acting career in Hollywood began in 1961 when she was only 19 in the movie Pocketful of Miracle, along with the great Bette Davis. She has also had many hits such as The Cincinnati Kid, Carnal Knowledge, The Train Robbers and many, many more.
(3) James Coburn- Born in Nebraska in 1928 and James Coburn is Swedish thanks to his mother & # 39; s side of the family. During his 45-year career, he played in over 70 films and more than 100 TV shows. Some of the most notable hits for the great Swedish actor are The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, Young Guns II and more.
(4) Dolph Lundgren - Born 1957 in Stockholm, Dolph Lundgren is a live action hero. He is best known for his role in Rocky IV, where he played the evil Russian boxer Ivan Drago. He has also acted in many other films and TV shows such as Master of the Universe, University Soldier and Joshua Tree.
(5) Alexander Skarsgard - One of the hottest Swedish actors in Hollywood right now is Alexander Skarsgard. He got his break on TV back in Stockholm, but his success there quickly led him to the states to take leading roles in the HBO series True Blood. To play as the vampire Eric, Alexander & # 39; s fame has increased rapidly. In 2010 he will start in at least three major films.